Tuesday, September 3, 2013

These hand crafted shoes are very comfortable and and I would assume very healthy for the feet. They are unlined and so breathe better than
store bought shoes with their foam rubber and other synthetic linings and insulation.
Linings and insulation tend to make a foot warmer and do not let the
perspiration out as quickly as an unlined leather shoe.


These unlined shoes dry quickly and keep their shape after getting wet and drying.
I found out how great these shoes are after I got soaked in an afternoon
rain shower here in Denver, Colorado.
When I got home I poured water out of my shoes and then set them out to dry.
The next morning they were ready to wear and were not distorted in any way.
The leather in these shoes is somewhat thin but is very durable.
I made these shoes in June of 2012 and wore out the sole but resoled it and they are still going. It is nice to have some old comfortable shoes
that I can keep resoling and wearing. They just fit my feet better and better.



2 comments:

  1. I want to try to make these shoes, I like everything about them. Karl, do you have any advise or resources (maybe book recommendations?) about doing this? Thanks, Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife and I compiled a way to do it from several sources. The following dvd really gave us a jump start in the process. Especially in the decision of what type of leather to us, and the oveall process http://www.healthyhandmadeshoes.com/dvd/
      There was also a couple of books that we used: Handmade Shoes for Men by László Vass and Magda Mólnar
      Crafting hand made shoes by Sharon Raymond
      I would suggest the dvd but deviate from it where you want to experiment. Bring in ideas from other books or shoes you may see somewhere. Just try it. I had to discard several 1st attempts before getting a pair that I could wear and depend on!

      Delete